An artist with a familiar face and voice has just announced her comeback. Anna Majidson is mostly known for her debut with the duo Haute, a duo that quickly became popular for their COLORS session and for their track “Shut Me Down”. However, Anna Majidson is now breaking away from this group and exploring new ideas, as she now makes music alone and composes on the mandolin. Today she releases her first EP and it is entitled “Mixtape Telecom” ; a vintage name that also evokes, between the lines, intimate compositions, recorded by herself. “Mixtape Telecom” allows us to see a softer, more skin-deep part of the universe of Anna Majidson.
To find out more about the person that lies behind this emotional EP, we asked her a few questions and we’ve taken a look at the songs she’s been listening to lately !
1. Hello Anna ! Can you introduce yourself in a few words to those who do not know you ?
My name is Anna Majidson, I am a singer / songwriter with a Californian dad and a French mom. So I have always lived between North America and France. I grew up in a family of musicians and I like to experiment. But most of all, what I love about music is telling a story and moving people emotionally.
2. You have just released your first EP, an EP that calls for a new beginning in your musical career, especially since you split up with Haute. How was the split decided ?
With love, fortunately. Haute was a wonderful adventure but we wanted different things and it felt like it was the right time to stop. With Romain, we remain very good friends and I think we always will be because it was an experience full of twists and turns.
3. You put electronic music aside in order to focus on folk music instead, which is a much more intimate music genre and it fits this EP very well. How did you compose it ?
I was in lockdown with my partner in the south of England. I wrote everything on the mandolin and recorded it on my computer, by myself. I had no creative boundaries for the first time in a while and I took the opportunity to explore a genre (so folk music) that I know less about but that I find very vulnerable, like you kind of expose yourself.
4. Those who follow you on Instagram know that you like artists like Brandy, but that you love the memes you find online. But what are you listening to right now ? Can you give us a little sneak peek of what you’ve been listening to lately ?
5. Can you tell us why these titles are special to you ?
It’s really my everyday playlist right now, a mix of what I love most (American jazz / R&B) & French variety influences. I love French texts.
Similar to Anna Majidson : Diving into in Irène Drésel’s favorite tracks.
6. Finally, to finish, who is the artist that you keep an eye on at the moment ?
I really like what’s going on in France right now, between Pomme, Yseult, November Ultra … I find their music very strong and, in terms of talent, it is comparable to the United States in terms of musicality. This whole wave inspires me a lot and pushes me to improve my technique and my compositions.
Anna Majidson is to be found on all streaming platforms. You can also follow her on Instagram !